Preserving, Restoring, Operating and Maintaining Olivewood Cemetery
Story of Olivewood
Olivewood was incorporated in 1875, a mere 10 years after emancipation arrived for Texas slaves when, on June 19, 1865, General Gordon Granger debarked in Galveston and made the official announcement a couple of months after the actual end of the war. The cemetery, the people who incorporated it and the people now resting in it are part of a much larger history of Houston and its African American community.
About Us | Contact Us | Donors | Legal | Calendar | RSS
Copyright 2009-2013 Descendants of Olivewood, Inc.